PEI 55+ GAMES SOCIETY CODE OF CONDUCT POLICY
The PEI 55+ Games Society promotes various sporting activities in the promotion of participation, fair play, and wellness for individuals aged 55 and beyond
Purpose of this Policy:
- The purpose of this policy is to ensure a safe and positive environment within all events and activities of the PEI 55+ Games Society.
- The PEI 55+ Games Society promotes participation, fair play and respect. While a spirit of “friendly competition” is encouraged, the concept of participation, promotion of a healthy lifestyle, and the opportunity to socialize with other seniors is the focus of the various events.
- The PEI 55+ Games Society is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect.
- Serious violations of this code or the rules of the various sanctioned activities may result in disciplinary measures.
Code of Conduct:
- All board members, games organizers, participants, officials, employees, and volunteers are expected to conduct themselves, at all times, in a manner consistent with the values of fairness, integrity, open communication, and mutual respect.
- This policy applies to all 55+ Games activities including meetings, activities, and events.
All individuals have a responsibility to:
- Show respect for all individuals regardless of body type, physical characteristics, athletic ability, gender, ancestry, colour, ethnic or racial origin, nationality, sexual orientation, age, marital status, religion and religious belief, political belief, disability, and economic status.
- Consistently demonstrate the spirit of fair play, participation and ethical conduct.
- Ensure that the rules of the various sporting activities are followed.
- Refrain from the consumption of alcohol or the use of non-medical drugs immediately before, or during, any participation in sanctioned activities.
- Refrain from any behaviour that constitutes harassment of any kind, where harassment is defined as any comment or behaviour directed toward an individual or group, which is perceived to be offensive, abusive, racist, sexist, degrading, or malicious. It is recognized that, in some forms, harassment may be considered criminal behaviour.
- Respect and maintain every person’s right to privacy and confidentiality.
Violations to the Code of Conduct:
- Event Chairs and/or their representatives have the authority to remove individuals who have violated the Code of Conduct from their events.
- Any individual or group who feels that this policy has been contravened may complete a complaints form and submit this form to the Executive Director (ED) of the PEI 55+ Games Society.
- Any individual / group having a complaint filed against them, will be notified in writing by the PEI 55+ Games Society.
- Upon receipt of the complaint, the ED will then:
- File the complaint as a permanent record with the PEI 55+ Games Society;
- Convene a Review Committee of the PEI 55+ Games Society consisting of the ED, a BOD executive member, and one other Board member. The committee will convene within 10 days of receipt of the complaint.
- This committee shall review the specifics of the complaint and may request more information from persons involved.
Upon review, the committee will determine:
- No further action is required, closing the complaint; OR
- Further action is required which may range from a letter of reprimand and request for a letter of apology to affected person(s), to revocation of membership and future participation in PEI 55+ games (provincial / regional).
- If during the review it is determined through consultation with law enforcement if a criminal offence is alleged to have occurred, the member will be immediately prevented from any future involvement (membership, participation) in the PEI 55+ Games (provincial/regional) and membership shall be revoked. The matter may also be referred to the relevant police agency for further investigation.
- The ED shall notify the involved party(ies) in writing within 10 days of the decision of the Review Committee.
- The decision of the Review Committee is final.